The thing about the immune system is that, when it is in good condition, we do not pay much heed to it, or even notice how it is working round the clock to keep us healthy. However, the moment we fall sick, the words like ‘weak immunity’get tossed around, as the immune system is our body’s first line of defense against the infections and illnesses.
So, if we are feeling healthy today, we have our immune systems to thank for it, and maybe we can even give ourselves a pat on the back for looking after it well. And, today we, at Lotus Valley International School, recognized among the leading CBSE affiliated schools in Noida will discuss some of the natural ways through which you can improve your immune system.
Understanding the basics of the immune system
Before moving on to the tips, we would like to discuss a bit about what the immune system is and how it works. So, the main purpose of it is to protect the body from bacteria and viruses.
The immune system recognizes the difference between alien cells and the body’s cells, and thereby, destroys the cells that can be harmful to your body. Thus, without an immune system to guard us, bacteria and viruses would be a free reign. To draw in from a very relevant example, you must have heard how the symptoms of CoVID-19 include high fever. That’s the result of the immune system of your body fighting hard to keep away the virus!
Natural ways to improve the immune system
Here are the six simple ways that we assure you to be effective in improving your immune system:
- Getting adequate sleep and focusing on stress management:Sleep deprivation, when coupled with excessive stress and pressure, leads to an increase in the hormone cortisol. Elevated levels of cortisol over a prolonged period of time might suppress the immune functions.
- Have enough fruits, veggies, seeds, and nuts:These are the type of foods that provide your body the nutrients that it needs for maintaining a healthy immune system. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that boosting the intake of veggies and fruits improves antibody responses to Streptococcus pneumonia. No wonder, why doctors insist on having at least one fruit every day.
- The lesser-known benefits of garlic:Garlic is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent that also acts as an immune booster. However, heat can deactivate some of the key active ingredients in it, and thus, you should add it to your foods before serving to get its immune boosting benefits.
- Take the medicinal mushrooms for better immune health: We know how delicious mushrooms are, and your kids probably love it too. But, next time you go grocery shopping, try choosing maitake and shiitake mushrooms. Studies show that these mushrooms might even enhance immune functions in cancer patients.
- The rules of personal hygiene to be followed at all times: There are certain rules of personal hygiene, such as, washing your hands for at least twenty seconds at frequent intervals, which you should always follow.
- Do not miss out on your daily exercise routine: Working out on a daily basis can be significantly helpful in boosting the functions of the immune system. Regular exercises help in mobilizing the T cells, which are a kind of white blood cells that guard your body against infections. So, introduce your little one to some exercise, just as you work out daily.
So, as you can see, it does not even take much to keep the guards of our immune system up. After all, as we, at Lotus Valley, believe, staying healthy is all about making the right choices each day and every way. And hopefully, today we have successfully managed to make you a bit more aware about the healthy choices you should make.